Living Spaces

Candles are Used Responsibly

Candles are the 4th most common cause of fires in the home. If you choose to burn candles, make sure that you keep them on a non-combustible surface, and keep at least a 1 foot "exclusion zone" around them that is free of all combustible material. Never leave candles burning unattended. Always extinguish candles if you leave the room or go to bed.

Lighters and Matches are Stored Safely

Always keep lighters, matches, and other fire-starting materials out of the reach of children. Take time to teach children that lighters and matches are not toys. Also tell them not to touch them and notify an adult immediately if they find any.

Empty Ash Trays in to Non-Combustible Containers

If you or someone in your house smokes, it is recommended that you empty all ash trays into a non-combustible container every night to reduce the fire risk. An even better option is to empty ash trays into a non-combustible container and then add some water to ensure all embers are completely extinguished.

Ensure the Fireplace is Used Responsibly

This includes making sure that the fireplace has a properly fitted screen or doors to keep embers, sparks, and burning material contained inside. Never burn garbage or other debris in a fireplace. When cleaning ashes out of your fireplace, place them in a metal container, add water and mix to ensure that all ashes are completely out. Never store this container inside your home or garage.

Have the Chimney Inspected Annually

Chimney fires are the result of improper chimney maintenance. Have your chimney cleaned and inspected annually by a qualified technician. Over the course of normal use, cracks and fissures can develop from the repeated heating and cooling of your chimney. Creosote, a byproduct of the combustion process, is highly flammable, and can build up inside your chimney and cause a fire. Also ensure that a spark arrestor is installed and operating properly.

Be aware of the risk for Carbon Monoxide when using a fireplace. Find more information, CLICK HERE


Information on this page was, in part, collected from the NFPAUSFA, and the CDC