Kitchen and Cooking

Never Leave Cooking Unattended

Cooking fires were the leading cause of residential fires in the United States in 2005, and have been the leading cause of fires for over 15 years, and during this period, unattended cooking was the biggest cause for all cooking fires. Never leave anything cooking unattended for any period of time. If you are roasting, baking or simmering food, remember to check it regularly and set a timer to help remind you.

Keep Stove/Oven Clear of Combustibles

Never use the stove as a storage area. Keep all combustible material at least 3 feet away from the stove area. A misplaced towel or cereal box can ignite within a matter of seconds. Also, avoid wearing loose or dangling clothing while cooking. An accidental brush against a flame or heating element can ignite clothing.

Stove/Oven are in proper working order

Keeping your stove and oven in proper working order helps prevent many risks, including gas leaks, fires, and carbon monoxide posioning.

Have a Working Multi-Purpose Fire Extinguisher Nearby

Since a sizable number of fires start from cooking and in the kitchen, it is advisable to have a working fire extinguisher in the kitchen. Make sure that you know how to use it, and check it annually according to the manufacturer's instructions to make sure it is still in an operable condition.

Pot and Pan Handles are Turned In

Keeping handles turned in helps to create a safer working environment for both the chef and any kitchen visitors. It also makes it more difficult for younger children to reach up and pull a hot pan down on themselves. Make sure that children are aware of the dangers in the kitchen and teach them to stay away from them.

Unplug Appliances When Not in Use

Appliances like toasters, coffee makers, and toaster ovens should be unplugged when not in use. They could be bumped and accidentally turned on or a power surge could damage the appliance and cause a fire hazard.

Information on this page was, in part, collected from the NFPAUSFA, and the CDC