Home : Carbon Monoxide

CARBON MONOXIDE


Carbon Monoxide (CO) is a colorless, odorless, and tasteless gas that is created when fuels are not burning properly; for example, furnaces, hot water heaters, cars and trucks, and grills. Carbon Monoxide is dangerous because it interferes with the way your blood carries oxygen. CO is picked up by your blood 100 times easier than oxygen, and once in the blood stream, it is very hard for your body to get rid of.

Wisconsin Law now requires each home have Carbon Monoxide Detectors on each level of your home. Read about the law HERE

Common symptoms for CO poisoning are:

  • Headaches
  • Dizziness
  • Weakness
  • Nausea
  • Vomiting
  • Chest Pain
  • Confusion
  • A reddening of the cheeks/face
  • Shortness of Breath

If anyone in your house is experiencing these symptoms, get out of the house immediately and call 911 from a cell phone or neighbor's house. Do not attempt to go back in for anything until it has been checked out and declared safe by authorities. CO, in high enough concentrations, can kill a person in minutes.

Remember - Carbon Monoxide Poisoning can be prevented!

  • Have Fuel-Burning Appliances Inspected Annually.
  • Monitor the flame color on gas-burning appliances: If the flame is yellow, it is not burning properly, and may be producing Carbon Monoxide.
  • Do not attempt to heat you home with the stove or oven
  • Do not allow any gas-burning motors such as cars or lawn mowers to run inside the garage
  • Install CO alarms outside of sleeping areas, according to manufacturer's instructions.
  • Never use charcoal or gas grills inside the house

Information on this page comes from the Centers for Disease Control and the EPA.


Information on this page was, in part, collected from the NFPAUSFA, and the CDC